Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fall Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup

Servings: 4-6 good size bowls.

Ingredients
28 oz. chicken broth
1 butternut squash, baked at 350 degrees for 1 hr., scraped out of skin and pureed.
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. garlic
1 T. canola oil
1 c. carrots, chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. oregano
2 T. honey
1/4 tsp. cumin

Directions
Heat oil over medium heat in a stockpot. Add onions and garlic and saute until soft but not brown, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the pureed butternut squash, carrots, and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes and carrots are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and add cinnamon, nutmeg, oregano, honey, and cumin. Serve topped with Sour Cream.

*This is actually a recipe that I made up! I have made it twice now to verify my measurements and that I really did like it. I actually made this with my little 14 month old daughter in mind. I wanted to find a way to get her to eat her squash, carrots, and sweet potatoes that she used to eat so well and she didn't seem to care for anymore. This definitely worked! It is a sweeter soup with the cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey added to it so it is one that both kids and adults like.

No comments:

Post a Comment