Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Copykat "Bajio" Sweet Rice

Servings: 6-8
Approximate Time: 50 minutes with prep and cook time.

Ingredients:

1/2-1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 of a white onion, chopped (add more or less to your taste)
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
1 1/3 cups white rice
3 cups chicken broth
1/4-1/2 cup white sugar

Directions:

Put a little oil in bottom of pan (maybe about 1/2-1 tablespoon).
Saute chopped onion until transluecent. Add the chopped cinlantro (no big stems) and saute a minute more. Add the rice, cooking until it is light brown (being careful not to burn).
Combine the chicken broth and sugar, letting sugar disolve. Then stir into rice until combined. Bring to a boil. Cover and let cook on low, med-low until rice is done, about 25-30 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.

* I needed to make a dinner for my family the other night which was 13 people. I decided to make chimichangas but had some vegetarians in the group so I needed to come up with another way to them without the meat for those who didn't eat meat. I found this recipe online and if you have ever eaten at Bajio and had their sweet rice, it is so good. I decided to do beans and sweet rice in them for the vegetarians and was very impressed with the rice. I actually decided to add it to mine and I love it! I think I will have to make this rice everytime now. It is great as a side dish also. I posted the chimichanga recipe a while ago that you can pull up if you would like to maket them.

No comments:

Post a Comment