Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Homemade baby food

This post is for my sister-in-law Julie and any other moms out there that are interested in making there own Homemade baby food. The major pros of making your own baby food is for Health (knowing exactly what is going into your baby) and cost (it is much cheaper to make your own food). I have used the book Super Baby Food as a guide on knowing what foods to make at what age and learning about the ice cube tray freezing technique, but I felt like it was missing a way to prepare the food after it was frozen that wasn't using a microwave. I have come up with a way that I feel is a great way to make food and get it prepared to eat after it is frozen.

The supplies that you will more than likely need to go out and purchase that you may not already have is about 6 ice cube trays, small serving strainers, and ramekins (used normally for creme brulee). I have found that ramekins is the best thing to use because it distributes heat evenly while warming up food and when they are refrigerated and immediately put into boiling water, they don't crack like glass.
These strainers were purchased in this 3 set at Walmart for about $8-$9 and I love that you have an individual size.
After preparing which ever food of your choice, pour them into the ice cube trays, cover, and freeze.
After food is frozen, run hot water over the back side of the ice cube tray for about 10 seconds to loosen the cubes, then pop out or use a spoon to get it out. Store in labeled freezer bag until ready to serve.
My baby right now is almost 8 months and she is eating: Spinach, Pears, Peas, Carrots, Prunes, Mangoes, Rice Cereal (I do make my own homemade rice cereal), Sweet Potatoes, and Avocados.
My doctor told me to feed her Spinach and Prunes because she has struggled with constipation and it has worked GREAT at keeping her regular!

If anyone has any questions about how to make certain foods or about the process I use (shown further down), please feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment